Thinking about Christmas already… no not Christmas for my family but Christmas for children who won’t get much at Christmas. The beautiful hearts at Samaritan’s purse organize Operation Christmas Child every year, Last year 290,437 children in poverty received love in a box in places such as Cambodia, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Vietnam and Thailand.
I gave my 3 kids a small amount of money each and they followed the directions from the organisers to find and buy:
- SOMETHING TO LOVE: Teddy bear, doll, soft toy, etc.
- SOMETHING FOR SCHOOL: Exercise book, pencil case, pens, pencils, colouring pencils, sharpener, eraser, chalk, etc.
- SOMETHING TO WEAR: T-shirt, shorts, underwear, cap, beanie, sandals, thongs, etc.
- SOMETHING TO PLAY WITH: Tennis ball, cars, skipping rope, marbles, musical instrument, yo-yo, slinky, finger puppets, wind up torch, etc. (No battery operated items)*
- SOMETHING FOR PERSONAL HYGIENE: Soap and face washer, toothbrush, hairbrush, comb, hair-clips, scrunchies
- SOMETHING SPECIAL: Carry bag, sunglasses, bangles, necklaces, craft kits, stickers, note or photo of yourself.
It was totally their decision on what to buy! The 4 of them (my 3 plus a friend) did so well shopping with their hearts, carefully considering each possible purchase wanting the children to be really blessed by the contents of the boxes. Feels great to give. Always looking for ways to keep our family looking out toward others and to live with their hands open to receive and open to giving.